Monday 16 May 2011

The Duang He's Walking to The Dream.



Many people take a long time to know what they want to be or to do. Some spend almost lifetime to find what is "right" for them. However, Veerachat Duangpla or the Duang as many know him has always known that he wants to be a comic artist. His determination helps push him to be the latest Thai comic artist to receive Silver Awards from Japan's International Manga Awards although he is only 24 years old.



It is undeniable that comics has played such an influential role in the childhood of many people in Thai society especially children who grew up in the 80s-90s when Japanese comic was one of few forms of entertainment. Some people love comics and limit their love to just reading for fun while the others are inspired by these comics to create some work of their own. Veerachai is one of them. However, his passion for comics has a longer root. "I started writing comics because of my father. He is also a comic artist. I saw him drawing cartoon characters since I was a child. I tried copying him without knowing that it was writing comics. I just thought it was fun. I only realized what I did when I grew up."

That love became understanding. It made him want to learn more about what he loved. These was no be better education that learning from the real things. "When I knew that what I loved was comics, I wanted to know more about it. I began with reading many comics, ranging from Thai comics like Kai Hua Rau to Japanese comics like Dragonball. I thought that it was Such an entertaining and engaging story. However, One Piece was the one that really inspired me. I heard its glowing reviews from so many people so I thought it might be a good try."

The appreciation of characters and perspective of One Piece, a Japanese comic which if famous for its original idea and unique characters, lead Veerachai to trying writting comics for real. He sent his comics to many publishers before his work was published Talad Talok, a 10-day strip comic by Srisiam Printing. After a while, however, he realized that this style of work was not his cup of tea. "I wrote for Talad Talok for about a year. I could not write jokers very well. I liked writing clack comedy but it was not Talad Talok-styled."

When he realized that he was not made for Talad Talok, he sent his work to other publishers for consideration. His work caught the attention of Siam Inter Comics which held a competition for the search of young talents. "I entered a short comic competition held by C.Kids of Siam Inter Comics. A year had passed before I knew I won and I was even happier when they wanted me to write for them in other projects."

Since then, he has not stopped sharpening his skills by looking at different styles of new comics and applied them with his own style. He finds his inspiration from things around him such as news and current situations or even his won experience.



His resolution and dedication to improve his craft help his work be widely accepted. He has published a dozen books with different publishers. One of his noteworthy work is "The story begins with . . . (or Ruang Mue Yoo Wa in Thai)" which receive Silver Award from 4th International Manga Award, the most prestigious award for international comic artist. "The story begins with . . . (or Ruang Mue Yoo Wa in Thai)" is a funny and biting comic  which leaves readers ponder some overlooked points. "For this book, I wrote normal comedy instead of black comedy. Although some people may not find it funny, it is funny in the way I want to write. I like straight-faced comedy. Earlier, I felt unsure whether I should write pure comedy then I decide to insert a simple moral lesson for people of all ages."






He also maintains the same perspective with his latest work, Robot Boy No.03 by Banlue Books. This comic was inspired by experiences of his fans and his won and his desire to empower people with dreams and encourage parents to be more open-minded. "This work seems to be written for children but I actually wrote it for adults. This story is intended to make an example of a case which parents control their own children to do what they want."

In reality, this story seems to reflect Veerachai's own childhood in a completely opposite way. His father always supported him. Although he has not have time to play like other children as he started writing comics since he was 13, he never looks back with regrets. He wants younger generations to be inspired and determined to do what they love. "Actually, this is not only about writing comics. The important thing is to be determined and focused on what benefit you. If you love something, you should pour all your heart to it. Do not be afraid to take steps. It we act wholeheartedly, although we fail, we fail trying."

No comments:

Post a Comment